Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Adventures of Moving

Well gangsters, I'm officially an unofficial resident of Watertown now. Natick will only be visited if I need a trip to the mall. Just a little background: When I moved up here (by here, I mean the arctic), I wasn't planning on traffic being disastrous. In TN, it takes no more than 30 minutes to go 17 miles. So logically, I was an idiot and decided living 17 miles from work wasn't all that bad. It took me over an hour on some days to get to work. And then with my grueling dance schedule, I'd be driving home at 11:30/12. That late it would take me 30 minutes; but 30 minutes when your exhausted is a very long time. Absurd. Therefore, I decided to move closer to work and dance and the city with one of my awesome dance friends. We'll call her Teach (because she's a middle school teacher and has this ability to always teach me some random fact or give the "teacher disapproval" that makes you feel so bad about yourself...I'm not that creative.) So Teach and I find this close-to-perfect apartment for us in Watertown. Great location for us both. Nice size (living room is a little small but beggars can't be choosers). Parking (ha! I'll get to that). A running trail about 2 seconds from our front door (slight under-aggeration). A few downsides--but the upsides outweigh them.

So if you know me even a little bit, you know that I'm very organized. I can be impulsive about things (shhhh don't judge); but for the most part, I plan well in advance for big things like...oh...moving all of my belongings in 1 day.

Without going into too much detail, I was proactive with this as well. Teach and I tried our best to plan way far in advance with the realtor (we shall call him EffHead because that's what I have named him) so that things would run smoothly. Shortly before we moved in, all these random additional fees kept popping up. One of them was a $50 charge to "lease" the parking pass. We just thought, 'that's silly and messed up that they didn't tell us at first. but oh well, we get it back when we move out in a few years.' Then we find out that we actually only get 1 spot until September 1st. Well this is a problem because we both drive our cars everywhere. Perfect. That's convenient, EffHead. I tried to contact EffHead 2 weeks prior to the move to coordinate a time to pick up the keys and parking pass; he did not respond. He's so good at his job. So the day before the move, I'm still trying to contact this man to set up a time to get the keys. It's a busy day because I have to pick up my friend (we'll call him Hulk...I had several other options for a nickname but this one won because of his crazy moving abilities and the fact that we both have a strange affinity for the Hulk after seeing Avengers), pick up the moving truck, load the truck, unload the truck, return the truck, etc. So EffHead finally responds and basically tells me that I have to meet him at 9am at the apartment because he is too busy and his schedule is full. I argue for a while because that's ridonk. But it ends up working out (and by working out, I mean I drove to meet him at his office just to drive back to Natick to get the truck and load it). EffHead was also supposed to get the parking pass and lease to me when he gave me the keys. He didn't. I paid for it. He told me since they have my registration information, my car would be fine. Proof is important. I have a receipt (although it doesn't help me much in this story).

So the actual move was surprisingly amusing. Hulk carried most of the heavy things by himself after he realized that my little (wo)man syndrome is just that...a syndrome. I'm not nearly as strong as I think I am. Hulk carried the tv by himself, the boxspring by himself, the table by himself. Just silly. Hulk found great amusement out of watching me attempt to carry things. He even suggested I pull the mattress up the stairs. This process ended with me conquering 3 stairs (great success) and ending on my badonkadonk. Well played, Hulk. Well played.

I go on with my weekend as normal. A lot of dancing and unpacking (and a random stint of indoor skydiving--impulsive-ish act--which is phenomenally fun and I'm kind of awesome at. Think it's the small, dancer thing. Flexible back and such. I'm definitely doing the real thing.) I digress.


Let's jump to Sunday night. Watching HIMYM with Teach. I hear a truck in our parking lot, and think, 'trucks don't fit back there.' I immediately get up and see my car on the back of a tow truck. Teach is calm and I am not so thank God she was there. I ended up having to pay the dudes $50 to get them to put my car down. This is after I became hysterical and had minor heart palpitations (I'm dramatic). Teach and I email EffHead the next day basically saying we expect reimbursement and how disappointed we are with the services. EffHead is even more of a scumbag so Teach jumps in with her "teacher disapproval" methods and makes him feel like a horrible person (we hope...he never responded. hehe). On top of all that, the towers threw my alignment off. Awwwwwwwwwesome.

So to recap: EffHead is a d-bag. I'm down 50 bucks because EffHead thinks it's not his fault in his own little scummy fantasy land. My alignment is off, but I can't do anything about it other than just pay to get it fixed because I have no proof it was straight before the towers decided to play with my car like it was a Hot Wheels. And thanks to Teach, I now have my parking pass.

Word to the wise, if you are ever moving in the Boston area, pass the realtor's name by me or Teach first. If it's EffHead, we'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment